<span class="highlight">Importing</span> caravans

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:07
ThreadID: 82329 Views:29907 Replies:14 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All new to the site love the info though.
I have recently been looking into importing a caravan from the USA because of the Aussie dollar, any pitfalls I should know about,brands, etc. The door on the wrong side seems to be the biggie but the cost of travelling trailers, as they call them ,makes them an attractive alternative to buying locally.
Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:15

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:15
Some of US quality is fairly ordinary. WE have a great range a quality right here and you alo get to support local manufacturers and the flow on effect of purchase of the parts required to put it together.. Now is the time when they need it most.. Up to ou really but Supporting local when you can is ideal.. regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 435175

Reply By: greenant - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:34

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:34
Hi Tasobb
Dont want to be a kill joy BUT wont the van access doors be on the wrong side of the van for here in OZ you would be getting in and out of the van on the traffic side

Greenant
AnswerID: 435179

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Nov 07, 2010 at 08:42

Sunday, Nov 07, 2010 at 08:42
...also known as the Suicide.
FollowupID: 706387

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:49

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:49
Aside from all the good reasons given above, you'd have difficulty registering the van without an Australian compliance certificate.
AnswerID: 435180

Reply By: dereki - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:50

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:50
Copied from the ADR...

44.2.8. MOTORHOMES AND 'CARAVANS’
44.2.8.1. Doors
Every motor vehicle (motorhome) or trailer (‘Caravan') equipped with
fuel burning (cooking) facilities or living or sleeping accommodation
shall have only outward-opening or sliding doors. At least one such door
shall be located on the left-hand side or at the rear.

A US van can not be registered in AU.

D
AnswerID: 435181

Follow Up By: dereki - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:57

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:57
forgot to say...

You might find a rear opening one, but there are also a bunch of ARDs about lighting, indicators, gas appliances, brakes, draw bars and couplings, all of which will need to be inspected for and changed if required.

Might not be worth the hassle.

D
FollowupID: 706328

Follow Up By: harryopal - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 10:27

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 10:27
A US van would probably be wired up for 12 volt but 120 volt for direct current instead of 240. Probably not a big deal but I am no electrician so maybe just run the thought past someone.
FollowupID: 706330

Reply By: Road Warrior - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 10:58

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 10:58
I think the consensus will be, that for the amount of dicking around you will have to go through to get it complied and licensed versus what you will save dollar wise in buying from overseas, it isn't worth it.
AnswerID: 435184

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 11:13

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 11:13
Apart from ADR regulations, how much was shipping? Compare that to buying here with combined cost etc.
While it is possible to get things like that approved here, you may find that it goes under a similiar rule to cars and bikes. Generally you are only allowed to bring them back it you bought it specifically to use while travelling over there, fell in love with it and wanted to keep it. (there are exceptions)
AnswerID: 435187

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 15:17

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 15:17
All mostly nonsense answers from people who think they know something.

We have imported a US truck and a slide-on camper as well as a boat.
Friends have imported a Jayco 5th Wheeler from the US and a truck.

Can all be done. The fact that you post here the way you do means you don't have a clue and that's whats gonna cost you big time.

The $ exchange rate is one thing, the quality of the vans is another ..
If you buy in the below $100K bracket here then forget it, the savings are not worth the hasel when you just want to save money. We imported because there is nothing in Australia we liked and there was heaps to save on the truck (because the importers overcharge on US trucks) and the slide-on is just a load (no need to register it).. is it worth it ? only when you want something which does not exist here. The other alternative is you build it yourself .. thats what I am currently doing with a 33' gooseneck caravan with garage for my F800GS.

If you want something very specific like our friends with the Jayco 5th wheeler then it can be done. They got ripped off with the freight because they did not do their homework properly.

Adapting to the ADR - yes it is possible and not as expensive or hard as some here make it appear.

Door to the left, cupboard locks, gas installation, 240 volt wiring, coupling, lights and a few other things ...

If exchange rate and money saving is your motivation then it it will probably not work out in your favour.

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 435207

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Nov 08, 2010 at 00:18

Monday, Nov 08, 2010 at 00:18
Wow, finally some common sense and reality on the issue :)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 706496

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 16:34

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 16:34
tasobb,

I have a friend who ordered a heavy duty off road van from an Aussie Company importing vans from the USA. It was very cheap compared to a similar size van made in Australia, and would be another 20% cheaper now, with the current strength of the AUD.

The van turned out to be totally unsuitable for dirt road corrugations and was a disaster until the entire suspension was ripped off and replaced. The rest of the van is very "lightly made" too, but so far has hung together.

The US manufacturer seemed to have trouble grasping what 1000 km down the Tanami could do to his caravans. I would say that a standard black top van made in Australia, is stronger built than the "off road " merry can one he bought.

So tasobb, be very very careful or you could get burnt.

Willie.
AnswerID: 435210

Reply By: cycadcenter - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 17:17

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 17:17
A couple more things to consider.

You also have to pay GST on the cost of the van and freight/transport.

Watch the width of the van as many in USA are 8' 6" wide which is overwidth for OZ

Has to be inspected by AQIS (not fun and expensive)

As others have stated: brakes, coupling, lights, wiring, tyres, clearance and AC all have to be addressed as well as the door.

If you buy from a private individual in the USA you will need to transfer registration (fee plus 8-9% Sales Tax) in order to prove ownership to Australian Customs. If you buy from a dealer you need to have it delivered to your shipper directly.

All imports must be preappoved, turn up in Oz with an unapproved import and it must be re exported or destroyed.

We have a local boat dealer over here who has exported 58 boats to Oz so far this year.

Also went to a Landscaping Trade Show last week and it seemed that every second stand commented on sending containers to Australia,

Bruce in San Diego

AnswerID: 435213

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 21:26

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 21:26
Also some have to have suspension completely replaced.
USA use 110 volt 2 wire against our 240 volt 3 wire
All wiring has to be replaced to Australian Standards All appliances except maybe the fridge chucked.
As said must have a left hand door and have heard r/h ones may be banned completely.

The width can be a problem as said as their widths are too wide for here.

Some boats coming in need a wide load permit.

Awnings on wrong side. Etc Etc

They look nice but so does Pamela Anderson and shes not very practiical either. Probably as much maintenance as a USA van.

LOL

AnswerID: 435225

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 21:45

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 21:45
You don't need to replace the suspension if you get the right model. There was a report by Retired John in CF and I had an afternoon with him where we discussed the problem. Whilst in the USA he had occasion to inspect some rigs in a yard. The salesman told him they have two different types in there. One is built to be towed to a trailer park for semi-permanent accommodation. The other is designed for touring. Guess what is being imported by the small dealers? That is why the suspension falls apart. The touring models do not have that great price saving.

The door on the wrong side is a problem. The authorities are taking more note of this. The token door in the side is no longer acceptable. It must be a fully working door complete with steps. When you park these in a normal caravan park the slide outs can be a nuisance because they are on the wrong side.

Yes it is possible to convert them to Oz standards. However if you don't know your tradesmen the costs can really blow out. Here are a few pointers to the problems:

Site Link - Site Link - Site Link

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 706372

Reply By: tasobb - Sunday, Nov 07, 2010 at 16:23

Sunday, Nov 07, 2010 at 16:23
WOW , thanks all , alot more to the idea than imagined, this is why these forums are such great places to get and share info.
I'll be sticking to the Evernew and lowering the stress level
Cheers Tas
AnswerID: 435270

Reply By: chevypower - Monday, Nov 08, 2010 at 11:48

Monday, Nov 08, 2010 at 11:48
Well I understand the market in both places, there are a lot more options in the US for RVs (caravans), and I have found they tend to be much better made.
Some of the biggest manufacturers in the US (travel trailer and fifth wheel) are:

Keystone
Dutchmen
Heartland
Jayco
Forest River
Newmar
Crossroads
Airstream (only get one of those if you HAVE to have an Airstream)

Most companies I mentioned, brand their RVs under separate brand names, and have quite a few subsidiaries.

I don't know why people are making a big deal about the door being on the other side. Do you avoid getting out of the driver's side door when parallel parking?
AnswerID: 435328

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Nov 08, 2010 at 14:29

Monday, Nov 08, 2010 at 14:29
Its legal to have doors on the right hand side of a car

Shortly it wont be with a van.

At present as already said, if you read the thread, A proper left hand side door and steps is required to comply with ADR regulations.

We all know what can be done. Its what HAS to be done that matters.

FollowupID: 706528

Follow Up By: chevypower - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:20

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:20
I'm not trying to argue here, cos really I don't know what the ADR states about it, but are you sure the rules are just as tough for personally imported as they are for local manufacturers building and selling in Australia?
It won't be long before everything is illegal in Australia (the way it's all going).
FollowupID: 706590

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:31

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:31
Why would they differ between private and commercial imports.

They will be running on the same roads and will be licenced under the same conditions.

Thatsa bit like saying I only run my car on Sundays so only have to pay a seventh of my registration fee.

Think about it. ADR Rules are for EVERYONE.

Read the rules if you dont know what they say then you may understand why they dont allow people to step out of a van doorway into oncoming traffic.

Seems quite sensible to me.
FollowupID: 706595

Follow Up By: chevypower - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 12:29

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 12:29
OK, well I know enough to know that is wrong. Sorry, but your analogy is way off. A guy who worked for an American vehicle importer in Melbourne told me the rules are much stricter for importers and manufacturers than for someone privately importing an American vehicle. Eg. They have to have pickups crash tested, whereas if you imported one, you wouldn't. Anyway, I live in the US, so the ADR rules don't apply to me. :)
FollowupID: 706616

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 14:04

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 14:04
The Thread is about importing CARAVANS NOT trucks.

All imports have to be preapproved before shipping and as said, if not will be rexported or destroyed at your expense.

Lots of 5th Wheelers have had to have had upgraded suspensions and brakes amonst other things.

All runs into extra money.

Personally I wouldnt touch one, ever.

FollowupID: 706621

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 14:49

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 14:49
Hi Chevypower

I have a question for you that you may know the answer to.

I have some equipment in the USA, mainly woodworking that have US 230/240 volt electric motors 60 Hz

Will these work with Aussie 240 volt 50 Hz?

Thanks

Bruce
FollowupID: 706624

Follow Up By: chevypower - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 15:31

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 15:31
"The Thread is about importing CARAVANS NOT trucks. " - Graham H
And I responded about CARAVANS

@cycadcenter
I asked an electrician in Melbourne about how to get a US clothes dryer to work in Australia. Clothes dryers here run at 220-230v/60Hz, 23-30 amp. He said no plug in Australia would handle it, but the unit could be made to work if it were to be hardwired in to the wall. I would assume the same would be the case for your equipment, but best to check with an electrician to see if they can do it. I definitely wouldn't just change the plug, and try it.
FollowupID: 706628

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 15:49

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 15:49
???? Quote " Eg. They have to have pickups crash tested, whereas if you imported one, you wouldn't. Anyway, I live in the US, so the ADR rules don't apply to me. :)"

As for voltage isnt the USA on 110-120 volt so if you bring appliances over here and plug them in you will fry most of them.

Look here for worldwide voltages

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Also have had experience of this with a computer brought back from USA and on 110v when bought there.
Woman plugged it in in here excitement and didnt change the voltage.

Took us 3 weeks as everything gradually died from spikes to get it rebuilt.

I also bought a Yamaha Receiver there some years ago and when I got back the Stepdown tranny cost me more than the amp as it wasnt dual voltage like some makes are.

FollowupID: 706630

Follow Up By: chevypower - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 16:37

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 16:37
most US appliances are 110v/15amp. Some bigger appliances are 220/30amp (electric clothes dryers, electric stove, larger pressure washers). They use a much larger plug (sometimes it's a 3 pin on older ones, newer have a 4 pin). Many electronic items can accept various AC voltages in to the transformer, and will output the correct DC to the device.
Since this is about US caravans/RVs, the input on most RVs is a 120v/30 amp plug. You can get 20 amp and 15 amp converter plugs though. 110v/20 amp plugs look the same as a 15 amp plug, but the Hot/active prong is horizontal instead of vertical, it won't plug in to a 15 amp socket, but 20 amp sockets accept both.
Then there's 3 Phase, the voltages don't seem to be universal for 3 phase either.
Australia seems to be more standardized in the plugs, voltages and amps, but the downside is you can't get a dryer that will do a full load of towels or jeans in an hour. Quicker to use the clothes line.
FollowupID: 706637

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:43

Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:43
The problem with things from the USA is that they run their power supply at 60 Hz. Their motors and transformers do not have as much iron in them as our 50 Hz ones do. They therefore run hotter. That can be a real problem if they are not well ventilated. At any rate things do not last as well when run at lower mains frequencies.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 706828

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 13:29

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 13:29
One of the issues that doesn’t appear to have been canvassed here is warranties. What if you have some sort of warranty claim; how will that be handled if they are in the USA...

I’m sure many people successfully import all kinds of products ranging from small to large for personal use, and with the value of the Australian dollar I suspect this will increase. But I think the question everyone should ask themselves before they do it, especially for large ticket items, is what sort of product/manufacturer support will I receive if it fails or there is a problem. In the case of a caravan it might be a case of get it back to us for repairs....in which case you effectively have no warranty.

Another consideration is you won’t be able to walk into a showroom and look at the item, size it up, determine whether it is precisely what you want.

There is some upside if you feel you can get a good deal, and benefit financially by getting a product for less than you will pay here locally, the big question is whether the downside risks are worth the financial savings you ‘might’ achieve.

Good luck either way, The Landy.....
AnswerID: 435453

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 15:33

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 15:33
I found the following which is a very good read on the subject...

Importing Caravans & RVs

Cheers, The Landy
FollowupID: 706629

Reply By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 14:41

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 14:41
Here are the regulations for importing

Please read

IMPORT REGULATIONS

Bruce
AnswerID: 435456

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:51

Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:51
That link did not work for me. Try Site Link. Each of the blue heading is a clickable link. Suggest you read the lot.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 706829

Sponsored Links